Saturday, October 10, 2020

Cranberry Harvest Time In Killingworth


For several years now I have been wanting to harvest Killingworth Cranberries on the Killingworth Land Trust sites but it never worked out. This year my neighbors and I got together and decided that we would stop and pick cranberries on our way to pick apples at Bishop's orchard.

It was a beautiful sunny day and as we walked down the path to the open area where the cranberries are, we emerged into a large open natural area that was just so calm, peaceful, and made me feel as if I was back in time. The cranberries were everywhere and to get to them sometimes you had step on other cranberries
At first we tried picking by bending over but when that got to be too much we all sat or kneeled. Next time I think I will bring a stool or a kneeler. I asked what variety the cranberries were and was told they are mixed and that they came from the bog on Pond Meadow road.

I was thrilled to discover that these cranberries had not been sprayed with anything and were completely natural. I am not sure but I think that commercial growers may use fungicides on their cranberry crops.





Cranberries are a powerhouse of vitamins, minerals, enzymes and antioxidants. Some of the benefits are (From Dr. Axe's Website)

1. Prevents and treats urinary tract infections

2. Decreases inflammation

3. May help prevent certain cancers

4. Improve  immune function

5. Benefit digestive tract

6. Reduce risk of heart disease

Here is a link to a fermented cranberry orange relish that provides good bacteria for your digestive system and will last in the fridge for a couple of months. Zippy and delicious! Fermented Cranberry Relish Superfood

I am definitely going again next year!
I'm going to FREEZE Dry my cranberries so they can last 25 years without refrigeration retaining 97% of nutrients! Learn all about home freeze dryers at the following link. I bought one and love mine so much and thought it could benefit others so I became an affiliate. Harvestright Home Freeze Dryer
 




HOME FREEZE DRIED KILLINGWORTH CRANBERRIES and FREEZE DRIED MASHED SWEET POTATOES

2021 Photos below

What another beautiful day for cranberry picking. Killingworth is so blessed that Killingworth Land Trust provides land where cranberries grow and then allows residents to come, meet each other and pick to their heart's delight! It was just so relaxing, beautiful, and natural. I am also excited that the cranberries grow naturally with no sprays.




A week or so ago I spoke with The Bread Girl and she gave me the idea of adding fruit powders to baking and possibly other foods so I think this year I will FREEZE DRY some of my cranberries and then powder them in the blender. When stored properly the powdered cranberries can last for 25 years without refrigeration. The Bread Girl https://thebreadgirl.biz/?fbclid=IwAR3GgUon6ljZ7pddIJXGs_kZicFDU3iKvz4aEUDjvceBJcIxGCnUnqZq5BM
 

No comments:

Post a Comment