Wednesday, May 29, 2013

UNION DISTRICT CEMETERY

After reading a couple of books by David K Leff on "Deep Travel" my interest was renewed in discovering hidden places and objects of interest right in our local surroundings. The other day I was driving around the back roads of Killingworth looking for scenic places to explore when I came across a very old cemetery on Roast Meat Hill Road ......  the Union District Cemetery. In fact, I recently read that it is the oldest cemetery in Killingworth. I pulled over to the side of the road, fetched my camera and took a stroll through this fascinating place of history and peace. Make sure you check out this whole post so you can find out whose grave I came across. You may have never heard of this famous personality but nevertheless he played a very important role in European Literature.


The grave in the photo below belongs to Hermann Broch. When I came across it and read the inscription, I thought to myself that I had better take a photo of his grave so I could look him up when I got home. It turns out that Hermann Broch was a very famous author in European literature. In fact he was nominated for the Nobel Prize in literature. A couple of his famous writings are The Sleepwalkers and The Death Of Virgil. Here is a link to learn more about him http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Broch


No comments:

Post a Comment